Monday, November 22, 2010

Saving Water

Flushing money down the drain.  (pun intended)

I just recently switched to a more Eco friendly shower head for 30 dollars and replaced my toilet with a newer toilet which cost $100. I also had to buy a wax ring and new connect hose but the whole project cost me like $120 with tax. It had a 10 out of 10 rating on the flush scale. One of the signs said this toilet can flush a bucket of golf balls in a single flush. I thought this was odd since who flushes a golf ball....and who flushes a whole bucket of golf balls? and how big is the bucket?  Moving on.......My old toilet used 3.5 gallons per flush and the new toilet I bought has 2 settings. It uses 1.1 gallons for a liquid flush and 1.6 for a solid flush. That is a savings of about 2 gallons per flush.






If 4 people go to the bathroom 5 times each day that’s 20 flushes x 2 gallons = 40 gallons saved per day x 30 days in a month. Now your talking a savings of 1,200 gallons a month just from a toilet. That is being very modest since  I’m sure I go to the bathroom more than five times a day. The savings are projected to save 90 dollars or more per year. The toilet basically pays for itself the first  year.

2 comments:

  1. How does the toilet know what you are flushing? Liquid, solid, or golf balls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has two buttons. 1 for liquids 2 for solids...I still geek out thinking if you go number 2 flush number 2

    ReplyDelete