Monday, March 14, 2011

Phone Books

Think Yellow ....Go Green

The Yellow Pages Association (YPA) has taken steps to reduce their carbon footprint and continues to strive toward more sustainable practices. They publish a  sustainability report yearly. Some of the key facts are that the Yellow Pages contain recycled paper content (Up to 40 %)  in addition they use wood chips and sawdust a by product of saw mills. The YP obtain their wood from companies that practice sustainable forest cutting throughout the U.S. and Canada.. They are printed with non toxic soy based ink and non toxic glues for the binding. They support recycling organizations throughout the country.  Approximately .3 percent of phone books make it into the waste stream. Less than any other print compared to junk mail, magazines, newspapers etc.  This is all great news but lets be honest  How many of us even use the yellow pages anymore? If  I have to look for a number I whip out my smart phone (Yes there's an app for that) or go on www.yellowpages.com

The YPA supports consumer choice and the ability to Opt Out  signing up takes less that 2 minutes.
These companies acknowledge the fact that it doesn't make sense to deliver unwanted phone books.

www.yellowpagesoptout.com

www.supermedia.com/directoryoptout/



For me personally its about reducing the clutter around the house. The less I bring in the less I have to throw out or recycle.


Information obtained from the 2010 Yellow Pages Association Sustainability Report.
http://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/sustainability_report.pdf

1 comment:

  1. I collect phone books and use them to plant my seeds in a as shreds for my worm bin.

    ReplyDelete